Saturday 23 November 2013

Team swaps, Washi Tape Coasters. MINI TUTORIAL included

Hello there,
Today I have the swaps I made for my downline, I wanted to do something a bit special for my team and so I came up with these coasters. I did run into a few problems along the way so I will talk you through the process I found that works as I share them with you!
So, I purchased some of the thin cork coasters from IKEA as my base, and painted two from each pack of four using simple white emulsion paint. Leave to dry.
Then glue the white painted coaster to another (unpainted) coaster using tombow, (I sandwiched the images together so they weren't seen) 
I had to hold them together with pegs around the edges, like so, for a good 15 mins to ensure they were stuck firmly.
 Now, the first time I made these (that's right, I had to re-make these twice 'cause I didn't know to do this step!) I simply added the tape, Please DO NOT do this!!! You MUST add glue to the top of the painted coaster first! So, I added a thin layer of Modpodge, (you can use tombow too) then added the strips of tape. I just tore the ends then went round after and trimmed them from the bottom to neaten. I then rolled over the taped area using my brayer to flatten. Leave to dry for a couple of hours.
I did 2 coasters each, 4 different designs using the Gingham Garden and Season of Style tapes...
1.
 2.
 3.
 4.
 Plus an extra one for me ;-)
Now to finish, I added 3 thin layers of modpodge, leaving overnight to dry between each coat, (I stood them on cups so they didn't stick to my surfaces) and then I got hubby to spray coat them with Varnish as an extra measure. I just really hope they hold up under hot cups, mine has been OK so far though...
 Here they are packaged up...
 and a couple of close ups of the tags, I made Washi tape feathers
and the Tape It and Creatively Yours stamp sets to decorate the tags 
And finally, want to see how I layered up the ticket punch at the top of the tags??
You will need the Ticket Duo Punch (obviously!) and the (retired) Designer Label punch
Punch out using contrasting card. Cut both punched shapes in half and trim the edges away from the designer Label punch, layer to finish!
Whew! 
That's from me for today, I'm back tomorrow afternoon so I'll schedule another little make for the morning for you,
Thanks for looking today :-)
Stampin' hugs,
 

2 comments:

  1. They are brilliant ! Thanks for sharing with us x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these! Another terrific idea for washi!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-You for any comments you may leave, I appreciate the time it takes to do so and I love to read them all :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...