Saturday 20 September 2014

Make the Curvy Keepsake Box Die using your Stampin' Up! paper stacks

Hello!
I am loving the Curvy Keepsake Box Framelit die right now and even before mine came I decided I wanted to make it up using the paper stacks SU! sell. Unfortunately they are a little too small to simply cut and stick but no worries, I wouldn't let a small problem like that get in my way. So as I figured it out I decided to do a (not so) little tutorial. 
It's pretty simple really but I do have a few top tips for you along the way.
 So, to start, the easiest way to make this Curvy Keepsake box is with a piece of 12"x 6" DSP. I place mine paper down then the die on the top, cutting blade down. Run through your machine twice and add in your tags on the second pass through.
 Ta-da! and you can make this box!
I love this "Under the Tree" speciality DSP as it's a really heavy weight, nearly as thick as card and so holds up perfectly as a box...
But, I wanted to make a  box with the Trim the Tree DSP stack. This little stack has 48 sheets of paper in all sorts of yummy designs like this traditional Christmas jumper style ;-)
OK, (as I mentioned) I usually place my paper down first then the die but for this sized paper you need to place your die down first, blade side up on top of your magnetic (or standard) platform and your plate. This is so you can see where to cover the die before you cut.
 then add your paper with the pattern you want showing down towards the die. It takes a bit of twisting around but you need to make sure you cover the top sections and as much of the bottom square as possible. It should be something like this...
 Cover with another plate and run through your machine, remove excess to get this shape.
 Repeat with a second sheet of paper.
 fold along the scored lines - at the bottom and where the round "handle" is too
 add a bit of glue (tombow works well) just to the section that will overlap
 and add the second piece of paper to the first
inside and out showing the slight over laps (you can click on any picture to make them larger)
 Now, trim two pieces of card to 4.5cm square, I used Crumb Cake here
 add glue to each piece...
 and adhere one to the bottom, outside of the box and the other to the bottom, inside of the box.
Take a bone folder and curve all the "petals" gently in towards the centre like so...
 and simply fold the longer pieces over the handles to finish
 and here they both are side by side :-)))
Well, I hope this was helpful to someone out there and remember to share your curvy keepsake boxes with me, I love to see!
Stampin' Hugs for today,
Products Used to create this project:

9 comments:

  1. This is so good to know. Very clever. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! Thanks for sharing! Definitely doing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!!! This is *exactly* what I was searching the internet for this morning! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sarah Jane for these wonderful tips! Love that the experiment worked and that you shared the good news with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant!!! I wanted to use that paper and could figure out how to do it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this clever idea...many of us who are a bit addicted to this die will not care what the bottom or inside bottom looks like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Carol :-) But if you want to not notice the bottom inside or out you can also cut the squares from a co-ordinating coloured card stock. Plus you can also use more of the matching paper -- I didn't do this as there are 4 sheets of each paper you can then get 2 boxes in each design but if you only want 1 of each pattern... hope that helps xxx

      Delete
  7. Great tip. Thanks Sarah Jane.....

    ReplyDelete

Thank-You for any comments you may leave, I appreciate the time it takes to do so and I love to read them all :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...